January 14, 2022
Official Mexican Standard NOM-004-SE-2021 was published, regarding commercial information and labeling of textile products, clothing, its accessories and household linen.
On January 14, 2022, the Official Mexican Standard NOM-004-SE-2021 regulating the Commercial Information-Labeling of textile products, clothing, its accessories, and household linen (the “NOM”), was published in the Mexican Official Gazette (it will invalidate NOM-004-SCFI-2006).
The following is highlighted on the NOM:
- It will enter into force 365 calendar days after its publication in the Official Gazette of the Federation; that is, January 14, 2023.
- Its purpose is to set forth the commercial information to be included in the labels of textile products, clothing, including their accessories, and household linen (the “Regulated Products”), before their entry and subsequent marketing in Mexico, with a textile composition of at least 50% in connection with its mass, even when they contain plastics or other materials.
- It includes five main areas for the labeling of the Regulated Products: (i) the information of the person responsible for the product; (ii) the country of origin; (iii) fiber composition (including description of raw materials); (iv) care, conservation and cleaning instructions; and (v) the sizes, dimensions or measurements of clothing, household linen and textiles.
- It requires that the information related to the Regulated Products be truthful, displayed in Spanish, and describe them in a way that does not mislead about their nature and characteristics.
- It requires that household linen, clothing, and its accessories bear certain information on one or more permanent labels placed at the bottom of the neck or waist, or in any other visible place, according to the characteristics of the product, allowing the addition of QR codes.
- It establishes that textiles (open presentation or closed packaging) and lined products must bear certain additional information that clarifies their nature and characteristics.
- It lists a series of products that require a particular instrumentation of commercial information.
- It provides a proceeding for the evaluation of the conformity of the NOM, which can be deployed through a voluntary scheme, in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Law on Metrology and Standardization and its Regulation.
- It has an unique appendix that contains a series of pictograms that illustrate certain types of protection, in terms of ISO standard 13688:2013 (Protective clothing general requirements).
If you need additional information regarding the contents of this Alert or if you need legal advisory on the regulatory framework applicable to textile products, please contact the following persons:
Luis López Linaldi – Partner
Phone: +52 55 50015409
Alan Osorio Aragón – Associate
firstname.lastname@example.orgPhone: +52 55 50620074